Saturday, July 30, 2011

Zoya Lolly

In addition to their Sunshine and Summertime collections for this summer, Zoya also released a small collection of three matte polishes call Mod Mattes. At first I passed on this collection, but during one of Zoya's promotions I decided to pick up their mini trio sampler and try out some matte polishes, since I don't own any.

Matte polishes, like the name implies, dry in a matte finish-- meaning they are flat, not shiny. They also dry very quickly. Zoya says that these polishes are meant to be worn without a base coat or a top coat, but I put base coat on to protect my nails.

First up is Lolly, which is described as a "bold, saturated medium magenta pink cream with a velvety matte finish. A very colorful new matte style for perfect stand-out Barbie pink nails." Lolly is definitely Barbie pink, and it's very bright and cheerful. I haven't spent a lot of time in the world of polish, but it seems like a lot of matte polishes out there are in more vampy, fall/winter colors and so it's cool that Zoya is breaking out of the mold and creating some really vibrant and bright matte polishes.

Now, I had major (MAJOR) issues with Lolly. This polish was streak city!! Argh. I needed three coats to even this polish out, and even then, I think it's still streaky. This polish also seemed a bit thick and was a little difficult to work with-- probably because it dries so quickly. Don't get me wrong, I loved this polish! Having never worn a matte polish, I am smitten with the matte finish. I think it's awesome and I love the flat finish. But I am almost embarrassed to show you my pictures, because the polish job is not awesome. It didn't help that I managed to ding one of my nails before I could take pictures, which makes it look worse. Here I have pictures both with and without a top coat. In the pictures below, the matte finish without a top coat is first, followed by the polish with a top coat. I used Zoya's Anchor base coat and Armor top coat.

Artificial light:


Artificial light with flash:


Natural light - shade:


Natural light - sun:


In the end: I really like the finish but I need a lot more practice with matte polishes! You can see that you have to be careful with matte polishes because you can see the brush strokes. A top coat hides that a little bit, but then you lose the matte finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment