Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Zoya Touch Collection Review

Zoya's Touch Collection: a set of three neutral polishes went to compliment the tones in your skin, depending on whether you are warm, cool, or neutral-- rather than matching actual skin tone. All are supposed to be "full coverage" neutrals-- meaning opaque and not sheer. In addition, all the polishes have a slight silver shimmer to give them some pop.

Minka is a yellow-ish beige neutral, meant to compliment those with neutral or olive tones to their skin.

Shay is a peachy-beige neutral, meant for those with warm skin tones.

Pandora is a pink-tinged beige neutral, meant for those with cooler skin tones.

While I feel that Shay was the most flattering on me personally, but I thought the whole collection was really nice and could work for a wide range of people. I feel like I could wear any of these colors if I wanted to. I was originally afraid that the silver shimmer would make the polishes look too frosty and old fashioned, but that isn't the case at all. The shimmer is very subtle; just enough to keep the polish from being a plain creme.

Now, as you can see from the pictures, I had some issues with bubbling when I used Minka and Shay (particularly with Shay, for some reason). This is not the first time I've had issues with this using Zoya polishes. However, I am inclined to say that this is not necessarily due to the fault of polish, but Zoya's Color Lock System (their base coat, top coat, etc). Several other times when I have used Zoya's system, I would have absolutely no bubbles until I applied the top coat and then bam! bubbles. It's extremely aggravating when you do a a great manicure and then you get ugly bubbles. Argh!! I've tried several things to try and avoid this-- using thin coats of polish and waiting for upwards of five minutes between coats-- and still I had bubbles. So I decided to scrap the Color Lock System and use my go-to base/top coats from Essie, which I have used here with Pandora. And look, no bubbles!

From searching the internet, it seems that there are a lot of other people out there who have had this problem. One recommendation is to add thinner to either (or both) Zoya's base and top coats. I have not had an opportunity to try this yet, so I'm not sure if that will work. I will let you know when I try it. But right now I am finding that using another base/top coat combination is working a lot better for me and my Zoya polishes still look great. A lot of people out there believe that body chemistry can affect how polish goes on your nail, so it may also be a case of Zoya's system not working well on me due to that. In any case, I think I'm going stop using the Color Lock System for now.

So overall, the Touch Collection gets a thumbs up and the Color Lock System is currently getting a thumbs down, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment