Friday, September 9, 2011

Football Friday: a-england Tristam

Second week of Football Friday! This week we are doing something a bit different. Under normal circumstances I would be at the UW-Hawaii game but as I mentioned last week, I grew up in a Michigan household and still root for them (as long as they're not playing UW). This week marks a historic event for Michigan-- they are having their first night game ever in the Big House. Originally we wanted to actually go to Ann Arbor and go to the game, but unfortunately, tickets were not released to the general public and the ones that people were selling online started around $300. Yikes! So instead, my sister and I are heading down to Portland and watch this historic game with our parents and the Michigan alumni group down there.

In honor of the fact that is a historic night game, I decided to go with a-england's Tristam. This is a new-to-me brand, created by Adina Bodana and based in England (if you couldn't guess). Her current line is called "The Mythicals" and all the polishes are named after various persons, places, or artifacts that are associated with English myths and legends. So Tristam is named after the hero from the legend of Tristan and Isolde. Tristam is a navy blue holo polish, or as the site describes it: a "night blue sky with starlight glimmer and glow"-- and my very first holo polish! Polishes with holographic glitter are highly coveted among many polish bloggers and there are several older collections which are very hard to find (and expensive) due to the fact that not many companies make holo polishes these days.

Let's take a look at Tristam!

Artificial light:

Artificial light with flash:

Natural light - shade:

Natural light - sun:

Since Michigan's colors are navy blue and maize, I decided to go with an accent nail to compliment the blue on my nails. Traditionally, "maize" is a more golden yellow color, though I feel in recent years it has moved towards becoming a bright, more highlighter-like yellow, which looks good on precisely no one. I also wanted to be careful to avoid anything too gold in color, because Notre Dame's colors are blue and gold and I didn't want it stray into that territory! So I ended up pulling out American Apparel's Manila, which satisfied my color requirements of 1) not being highlighter yellow and 2) not being too gold. Manila is also a creme polish, which adds a nice bit of contrast to the sparkly blue of Tristam.

Artificial light:

Artificial light with flash:

Natural light - shade:

Natural light - sun:

And there you have it! Let's Go Blue! Beat the Irish! 

2 comments:

  1. I agree: Go Blue!

    I like the a-england color, though. I recentl discovered this brand but have yet to purchase any of their polishes. I do love the names though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first a-england polish I've tried and it was really nice. I have three others to try, so I hope they are as nice. From cruising the blogs, though, people have been raving about them, so it sounds like they're all good.

    I believe right now Adina, the owner, has free shipping worldwide on any order, so it would be a great time to try some!

    ReplyDelete