Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Nails!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because of all the awesome food! My husband and I have made it a tradition to take the whole week off so we can spend time with both our families (and do some shopping and watch some (a lot) of football)-- all of which are pretty integral components to Thanksgiving for us. Most times I would wear something seasonally appropriate for Thanksgiving, like a brown, bronze, dark red, or something equally fallish and autumnal. But when I started thinking about what I wanted to do for my Thanksgiving manicure this year, I decided to branch out a little bit. Two polishes that immediately came to my mind from my stash were Nostalgic Lacquer Gluttony and Essie Very Cranberry.

Anyway... on to my Thanksgiving manicure! The first thing that comes to mind when you think of Thanksgiving is food-- at least for me. So while there are tons of polishes out there that are perfectly suited to capturing the color of the season, I decided to get down to the meat of matter. (See what I did there? Hah!) I pulled out Nostalgic Lacquer Gluttony, which I have had sitting in my stash since forever. I decided to try it over Julep Alyson, which is a nice tan neutral. I love the way the multi-colored glitters looks against the neutral backdrop. Why haven't I tried this before?! I also didn't want to do just glitter, so I decided to go for two accent nails using Essie Very Cranberry. I bought this a very long time ago and had an idea of what this looked like in my head-- which unfortunately didn't quite match up with the actual color. Very Cranberry is much lighter and more pink than I thought it was-- I think of cranberries (one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving-- I love canned/jellied cranberry sauce!) as being much darker red. In any case, even though I wasn't in love with the color I decided to go ahead and use it as my accent color. Very Cranberry get deeper in color the more coats you apply, so I used three here, along with two coats of Alyson and two coats of Gluttony.

Despite my initial hesitation over using Very Cranberry, I'm really happy with the way this looks. The deep creamy dark red-pink keep this manicure from being too flashy with all the glitter. At least, that's how I feel when I look at these pictures.

Artificial light with flash:

Artificial light (Ott-Lite):

Natural light - shade:


This manicure in no way matches what I'm wearing for Thanksgiving (I'm usually very matchy-matchy with my outfits and nails), but I don't care because I love it! And at some point in the future I will do individual reviews of both these polishes, so you'll get to see them in their full glory.

Hope everyone out there who is celebrating Thanksgiving is having a great time! Enjoy all the good food and time with your families!

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific combination! Gluttony looks like a party in a bottle with all the different colors and shapes.

    ReplyDelete