Friday, August 12, 2011

American Apparel Neon Yellow

This summer American Apparel released a line of six limited edition neon nail polishes (followed by a seventh later on). Well, at least, I think they were supposed to be limited edition-- they are up on American Apparel's website and seem to be readily available.

These polishes don't have names, they are just Neon (Color). These polishes are definitely packed with neon pigment, which means they dry in a matte/satin finish, not glossy and shiny. Neon Yellow is an extremely bright (read: retina searing) highlight yellow polish. Seriously, you may need sunglasses to read the rest of this post. Unfortunately, this polish was not easy to work with it all. It was extremely streaky and thick (the ends of my nails look kind of blobby)-- I needed four coats of polish to get rid of streaks and patchiness. I used Essie's First Base base coat and Good to Go top coat with this (and all the other AA neon polishes) and it seemed to work just fine.

Artificial light:

Artificial light with flash:

Natural light - shade:

Natural light - sun:

I know these are bright and the formula was a total pain in the butt, but I'm not going lie-- I kind of love this. I think it appeals to my inner child-- it's just bright and fun and neon. The picture of the polish in the shade probably comes closest to the true color, as this yellow leans a little green. It's also extremely difficult to photograph neon polishes correctly-- the camera just doesn't like them at all-- and you can see in a couple of these polishes where the polish just looks like a bright yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment