Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Essie Steel-ing the Scene

Back from vacation and it was wonderful... except for our car having a freakout on the way back and we had to have it towed 164 miles back to Seattle. SUCKS! And of course, nothing is actually wrong with it. But overall it was a very nice vacation and we had a great time hanging with our friends, eating jello shots, watching meteors, swimming and just being lazy bums in general. It was so nice to get away from everything.

Tonight I'm featuring an Essie polish-- I haven't featured any Essie in awhile! I don't own a ton of Essie polishes and for some reason I seem to ignore them and let them languish in my drawers. So a couple weeks ago I decided to pull out a few and start swatching them. Tonight I have Steel-ing the Scene, which I bought from J.Crew when they were selling Essie polishes. Steel-ing the Scene is described as a "burnished pewter cream". Not sure if I would classify this as a creme, though-- it's more metallic with a chrome like finish.

I needed three coats of Steel-ing the Scene to make this opaque and get good coverage. It was a little sheer in coat, but three at least gave me opacity. The color is cool and I love the metallic chrome finsih. But I am highly unimpressed by the formula. It's streaky as all get-out and you need to be very careful with your application otherwise as you can see, it's brushstroke city. This dries quickly, so you can't take too many strokes or you'll ruin the finish. In all, I found it frustrating to work with and was extremely annoyed by the time I finished my swatching.

Artificial light with flash:


Artificial light:




Natural light - shade:




Natural light - sun:


I can't say I'm in love with Steel-ing the Scene. I bought this when I was in the first throes of my polish obsession and had to have everything. Unfortunately, this is one of those polishes that looking at it now, I wish I hadn't spent my money on. I like the color and the chrome finish is cool, but I find it difficult to get past all the brushstrokes. I hate them so much. I guess I need to practice my application technique some more-- however, I don't know if I'll be coming back to Steel-ing the Scene.

2 comments:

  1. It's pretty. I always ignore Essie, too. In the stores, and in my helmer. I think the white cap bores me... I don't know, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like their collections, but I never actually buy any of them.

      Delete