Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Julep Maria

Well, for every handful polishes you love there is inevitably one that you end up hating. And I have one for you tonight that I was less than thrilled with-- Julep Maria.

Maria was part of my January Maven box. It is one of the polishes from their 2012 Resort Collection. Julep describes Maria as a "shimmering platinum rose" that is feminine and sophisticated. It is a pretty polish for sure, but yikes... this polish was terrible! Like all metallic polishes (and particularly Julep's) the brushstrokes are pretty bad and you need to be extremely careful with your application. But this time it was way worse-- the polish appeared to dry very quickly but when I went to apply my second coat of polish, I actually ended up dragging the first layer of polish away for my nail-- literally peeled it away! I wish I had a picture, because I had never seen anything like this before. It was so weird! I managed to pat it down a little and then waited much longer before adding another coat to cover things up.

Maria is pretty, though, despite its issues. In the bottle it looks more like the first two pictures in artificial light-- sort of a rose gold color. However, in different lights the pink tones really come out and it does look distinctly pink.

Artificial light with flash:

Artificial light:



Natural light - shade:


I honestly wanted to like this polish, but the formula was so bad that I don't think I can ever use it again. I love Julep's creme polishes, but their metallic polishes frustrate the heck outta me and this one was particularly terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment