Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Julie G Tangerine Dream

Today I have a pretty cool polish to share with you-- and a textured one at that! This is one of the first textured polishes I got, when I purchased the Julie G Frosted Gumdrops collection through Groupon (hooray good deals!). This is Tangerine Dream, which is described as a "citrus orange with specs of sparkle." The color of this polish definitely optimizes citrus and looks just like a ripe, juicy orange with tons of gold shimmer.

Now, I have a quick disclaimer: my pictures below are four coats. That said, in normal everyday wear, you don't need four coats to wear this polish. I initially put on two coats, but then spent several days helping to move my lab and my manicure suffered. Since I'm also trying to photograph polishes as I wear them, I slapped two additional coats on top of my old manicure so it wouldn't look completely awful. I think 2-3 coats would be fine for Tangerine Dream-- there was just a hint of visible nail line with two coats, so I think three would get rid of it completely. Additionally, while I generally find textured polishes are no more difficult to remove than regular polishes, four coats required a little bit more elbow grease to remove.

Artificial light - flash:


Natural light - shade:


Natural light - sun:


Textured polish is HUGE right now and looks to remain that way at least through the end of year, since Zoya released a fall "Pixie Dust" collection and OPI is including five Liquid Sand polishes in their holiday collection, and I get the feeling it's a love it or hate it relationship. I honestly thought I wouldn't like them, but when I got the chance to try them, I found that I actually really love them. The texture gets worn down as you wear them, so even if it's a bit rough to start, it eventually become smoother. Additionally, they're super easy to wear: base coat (or not), slap on a couple of coats, and you're good to go! As far as my own taste goes, I prefer the sparkly textures to the flat ones, but to each their own! Tangerine Dream looks stunning in any lighting condition.

I love the way Tangerine Dream looks on the nail and definitely love how easy the textured polishes are to wear. I have worn several of the Julie G texture polishes and so far have been really impressed with them all. Hopefully I can the rest of them swatched and on the blog soon! 

2 comments: