Friday, March 1, 2013

March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month!

You may or may not know it, but March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month. And why am I so interested in this? This past September, my sister's boyfriend was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was a very frightening time for our family, especially my sister (and of course, her boyfriend, who we consider to be our family as well). The scariest part was that he's only 26 years old and has no family history of the disease! Even though I'm a few years older, it never would have crossed my mind to worry about colon cancer and I've never known anyone close to my age that has been diagnosed with any type of cancer. Luckily, they caught the cancer early and were able to remove the entire tumor and he'll be done with his precautionary chemo treatment by the end of April. Hooray!

March 1st is "Dress in Blue Day" which is meant to raise awareness for the disease-- which is good because I think a lot people shy away from talking about due to the fact that it's located in well, your colon and/or rectum. But science has made great strides in the screening and treatment of this particular cancer, moreso than a lot of other cancers out there! To that effect, here are some facts about the disease:

-Colon cancer is the 3rd most commonly diagnosed cancer
-Colon cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths in America (men & women)
-1 in 20 people (or 5%) will be diagnosed with the disease
-If found at the local stage, the five year survival rate is 90%

In honor of colon cancer, I'm wearing one of my favorite blue polishes ever, Revlon Royal. I actually layered Royal over Rescue Beauty Lounge IKB: 2012 to make it a little more opaque. (It worked in real life, but my camera still picks up visible nail line, grr!)




The perfect blue for raising colon cancer awareness! Even though most of you who read this blog are probably too young to worry about the disease, encourage your families who are to get screened! 

(Facts are provided by the Colon Cancer Alliance.) 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your sister's boyfriend is looking to make a good recovery! <3

    And this blue is just about perfect. Jelly. Cobalt. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good cause! My former stepbrother was also diagnosed with colon cancer around the age of 26 and luckily he recovered too!

    ReplyDelete