Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July Skittlette Mani!

Hey all! Hope that many of you are having a good time celebrating the 4th of July-- and if not that you are having a pleasant Thursday! This post is a little late because we've been doing a lot of cleaning around the house so we can move furniture and prep for the arrival of the twins, and in doing so lost our internet connection for awhile, whoops!

For this 4th of July, I had a hankering to try out a skittlette manicure, as pioneered Marta of ChitChat Nails. She recently did a tutorial on how to create this manicure and so I took it for a test drive! I already had in my mind two polishes I wanted to use: Julep Fireworks, a red/blue/silver glitter polish, and Julie G Hot Cinnamon, a red texture polish. Because I was afraid that the glitter and the texture might be too much, I decided to just do glitter tips and not full accent nails. I pulled out Cult Nails Tempest and Time Traveler and viola! A 4th of July manicure was born!

And, in true Marta fashion, I'm using props to show off my manicure! For this I used my husband's challenge coin from the Navy job he completed this past year, and a navy/white striped skirt that I'm wearing today.

Artificial light:


Natural light - sun:


I really like how this turned out. Since Hot Cinnamon has shimmer but not necessarily glitter, I don't think it clashes with the glitter from Fireworks-- nor does it look too busy. Part of me wishes I had used a lighter blue, given how close to navy blue Time Traveler is, but it's so easy to work with that I don't mind it, even if it is a little dark.

Happy 4th of July!

2 comments: